A complex systemic disease that is accompanied by skin lesions is psoriasis. In a healthy body, cells live for 30-40 days and are then renewed. With the development of psoriasis, the life of the skin cells is 4 to 5 days. When they die, flaking, plaques and dryness occur. The treatment of psoriasis at an early stage is always easier, so it is important not to start the disease. The methods of therapy in the progressive phase differ significantly. You will read about treating only the early stage of psoriasis in this article.
Causes of the disease
In psoriasis, the functioning of several systems is interrupted at the same time: endocrine, immune, nervous. Until the end, doctors did not discover the causes of the disease, nor did they invent a cure for psoriasis.
The experts propose the following hypotheses for the development of the disease:
- Viral.Retroviruses, which are inherited, may be the causative agent of psoriasis. In many patients, changes in peripheral lymph nodes have been found, which may indicate the viral nature of the disease.
- Immune.With weakened immunity and impaired defense mechanisms at the cellular level, favorable conditions are created for the progression of psoriasis. Among the causes of the disease is also autoimmune aggression, a process by which lymphocytes begin to attack healthy cells in the body itself.
- Infectious.Many researchers looked for pathogens of psoriasis. Epidermophytes, spirochetes, streptococci were suspected, but all assumptions remained incorrect. However, scientists have found that infectious diseases: ARVI, flu, tonsillitis are a boost mechanism in the development of psoriasis. In 90% of cases, this disease is accompanied by tonsillitis.
- Genetic.Psoriasis is transmitted to children by parents. 60% of patients have relatives with this dermatosis. If the mother or father is diagnosed with psoriasis, the risk of psoriasis in a child increases by 25%, if both parents are sick - by 60%.
- Metabolic.Metabolic disorders (lipids, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals) can cause psoriasis. Patients usually have disturbances in the functioning of the thyroid gland and other glands in the endocrine system.
Main signs and symptoms
This local disease is not contagious. Damaged skin, nails and hair. Small rashes appear on the epidermis, in which papules form over time - areas of bright red or pink color protruding above the skin. From above, they are covered with silver scales (plates).
The papules may itch a little or even bother, the peeling is imperceptible. At first, the size of the affected areas of the skin is 1 to 2 millimeters, over time, its size is estimated to be 10 centimeters or more.
Early-stage psoriasis: what parts of the body can be affected by the disease? The main symptoms of the disease of different location:
- In the head.The scalp is covered with scaly red patches with many scales similar to dandruff. In that case, the hair is not involved in the pathological process. Itching is observed in patients. Skin lesions can spread to the neck and ears.
- On the face.In the initial stage, psoriatic plaques form on the skin around the eyes, on the eyelids, in the area of the nasolabial folds and on the eyebrows. Occasionally, psoriasis affects the mucous membrane of the mouth, cheeks, lips, tongue and a little more often the contour of the lips.
- Available.Unique red papules appear on the palms and between the fingers. The back of the hand is affected much less frequently. If stains form on your fingertips, they will lose sensitivity over time. Psoriasis can spread to the nails.
- On the elbows.In the initial stage, unique elements of psoriasis appear, covered with silver scales. Then they grow in a continuous affected area of the skin, from which scales and a thin film are easily removed. After this action, the affected area turns a reddish pink color, drops of blood appear on it.
- Standing.The skin of the foot and the back of the leg suffer. The symptoms are similar to those of psoriasis of the elbows: in the initial phase, small lesions appear, which expand to large areas, with a symptom of blood dew being observed.
How and how to treat psoriasis at an early stage
Cure psoriasis forever - how realistic is it? Unfortunately, although the answer is disappointing - this autoimmune disease can be corrected, but it is impossible to get rid of it completely.
The treatment of psoriasis in the initial phase gives excellent results and allows to eliminate the visible manifestations of the pathology. Traditional medicine uses ointments, creams, solutions, therapeutic ultraviolet irradiation, systemic drug treatment. There are also grandmother's remedies, but they do not give a stable result.
Patients with different types of psoriasis need to learn the basic principles of an alkaline diet. Patients need to eat foods that alkalize the internal environment. Their share should be 65-75%, part of acidic foods - 25-35%.
- One third of the diet consists of unprocessed vegetables and fruits. Include beets, cabbage, carrots, herbs, cucumbers, onions, garlic, celery on the menu.
- Another third of the daily psoriasis menu is complex carbohydrates and natural sweets in limited quantities. Eat porridges (barley, buckwheat), dried fruits (raisins, dried apricots, dates).
- The last part of the diet consists of proteins of animal and vegetable origin. Eat lean meats, fish, peas, beans, seeds, eggs, nuts. Polyunsaturated fatty acids should also be on the menu.
- Drink at least 7 to 10 glasses of clean water a day. Alcohol is prohibited.
- For an effective treatment, abandon citrus, fatty dairy products and meat, chocolate and red products. Use honey to a minimum.
- It is important to exclude sweets, spicy, smoked and sour foods from the diet, as they have a negative effect on the skin. The amount of salt should be kept to a minimum.
The treatment of psoriasis in the initial phase is carried out successfully with the prescription of medications. There are several groups of them.
Topical preparations: creams and ointments. The drugs are composed of water, emulsifier and oil. They are sufficient to treat the initial stage of psoriasis.
Ointments are hormonal and non-hormonal. The second group is safer, but not as effective.
Pills. Treatment of psoriasis with medications is most often used to combat the progressive stage.
Systemic therapy. Its nature (dosage, duration of therapy) is determined only by a doctor for the treatment of advanced forms of pathology.
The complex uses:
- ; fatty acids
- ; hepatoprotectors
- antiallergic agents;
- preparations for removing toxins from the intestine.
What is psoriasis and how is it treated? The complexity of the therapy is important. In the initial stage of psoriasis, adequate nutrition, the use of local medications and treatment with physiotherapeutic procedures are performed. The latter are intended for:
- decreased CNS excitability;
- normalization of the patient's psychological state;
- itch reduction;
- acceleration of resorption of psoriatic papules.
- An excellent treatment with a calming effect.
- Due to the total recovery of the body, the papules decrease in size and the disease goes into remission.
- A patient with psoriasis needs to undergo 8 to 10 procedures lasting 20 to 60 minutes.
- In the first sessions, patients fall into shallow sleep and then into deep sleep.
- The affected areas of the skin are treated with X-rays, which speed up the process of resorption of psoriasis plaques.
- The treatment method involves using soft X-rays.
- One session is held every 4-7 days, the total radiation dose is safe (3, 5-4 Gy).
- The skin is treated with ultrasound with vibrations of 800-3000 kHz.
- The procedure eliminates inflammation, itching and pain, reduces sensitivity to allergens and kills bacteria.
- The procedure cycle includes 8-14 sessions, each lasting a quarter of an hour.
Among other effective physiological methods against psoriasis, cryotherapy, immersion in a magnetic field, current treatment, laser should be highlighted. The treatment of psoriasis at home can be accompanied by baths of sea salt (for 1 liter of water 5 g of salt, temperature - 37-38 ° C, duration 15 minutes, 15-20 daily sessions). With the onset of the disease, it is important to go to a sanatorium and participate in health programs.
Psoriasis is effectively treated by treating the affected areas of the skin with ultraviolet light. The wavelength must be 311-313 nm, but a specialist can recommend a different radiation spectrum. The patient is immersed in a special chamber equipped with ultraviolet lamps. Before, he takes photosensitizing drugs that increase the effectiveness of the treatment. An effective method of UV therapy is PUVA therapy. The wavelength is 320-400 nm. For a good treatment result, the patient goes through 25 exposures, causing 80% of the affected areas to disappear.
Effective folk remedies for home treatment
In the early stage of psoriasis, you can use popular recipes:
- Treatment with chicken egg oil. To get half a glass of the product, 20 homemade eggs are needed. Boil the product for 15 minutes after boiling. You need gems. Knead in porridge and fry in an oil-free skillet over low heat for 45 minutes. Transfer the prepared dough to a gauze and squeeze. Oil the affected areas 1 to 2 times a day until the symptoms of psoriasis are completely eliminated.
- Treatment of the initial phase with a complex ointment for psoriasis. Ingredients: 50 grams of birch tar, 20 grams of grease or petroleum jelly, 10 grams of boric acid, 30 grams of honey, 1 egg white, 10 grams of fish oil. Store in a dark corner. Lubricate the papules 1-2 times a day.
- Treatment with celandine juice. Treat the affected areas of the skin with fresh root juice. This should be done in the initial phase, daily, during the summer, for three consecutive seasons.
Peculiarities of treatment in children
Do not use folk remedies on a growing body. They are not always effective and delays, in this case, are totally unacceptable. When the initial stage of psoriasis occurs, parents should show the child to a dermatologist who will prescribe a thorough examination and treatment. If the disease has not spread much, children are given topical ointments and creams for the skin: keratolytics and anti-inflammatories.
The top layer of the psoriasis plaques is removed with the help of a sulfuric tar or salicylic ointment. To do this, make a dressing on the skin moistened with the active agent, which is removed after 3-5 hours. Then the child should shower successively - it will help to remove the crusts without pain. The last stage of treatment - glucocorticoid drugs are applied to the skin in a dosage prescribed by a doctor. Children are prescribed antihistamines and vitamin complexes.
What does the initial stage of psoriasis look like - photo
The first stage of psoriasis is accompanied by lesions in certain areas of the body's skin.
If you notice rashes as pictured, run to the dermatologist. There is no need to wait for the problem to be solved on its own.
This skin disease is complex and requires rapid and comprehensive treatment. The sooner a person looks for a specialist, the more favorable the result will be.
Successful therapy leads to rapid remission and restoration of quality of life.