The development of disease can vary from isolated plaques to a few, including the defeat of the entire scalp. In addition, the progresses further psoriasis on the face, involving the skin of the forehead, spreading to the back of the neck and the ears.
According to statistical research, psoriasis affects about 5.7 million residents and around the globe, approximately 4% of the population with this unpleasant dermatological pathology. The localization process is different, but often the scalp is the only area of the body where the symptoms of psoriasis (typical for more than 50% of clinical cases).
Causes of psoriasis scalp
The origins and causes of hair psoriasis, as with other types of disease has not been fully elucidated. According to the American Academy of dermatology, the debut of the pathological process occurs because of a violation of the functioning of the human immune system.
According the theory, the body of the patient occurs an autoimmune process in which the tissues of the skin increases the concentration of T-lymphocytes — cells which play an important role in the immune response. The congestion will cause long lasting inflammatory process which manifests with thickening of the skin and the appearance of scaly formations.
For reference! An autoimmune process is a phenomenon in which a person's immune system causes harm to the body, not protecting it.
Improper functioning of the immune system caused by a number of triggers, not directly causing disease, but has a certain value. Background causes of psoriasis of the scalp following:
- Heredity plays an important role in the chain of development of the pathological process: it is considered that the risk of onset of psoriasis increases dramatically in the presence of the disease, at least one close relative. This statement is not accepted by all specialists and is still being discussed.
- Stress. Emotional experiences can strengthen the immune system dysfunction that manifests itself in a more severe course of psoriasis, either in its debut distribution.
- The use of drugs. It is believed that some medicines affect the development process; in particular, reported about the side effect of indomethacin. The drug is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agent (NSAID) and is recommended in the treatment of arthritis. Also report the provocation of pathology quinidine, which is used in cardiology, as antiarrhythmic drug.
- Other factors that can lead to the development of pathology in predisposed individuals: burns, injuries of various kinds, sore throat and others.
Diagnosis of hair psoriasis
Person's decision to go to the doctor often depends on the severity of the symptoms some patients are ashamed of their disease or just don't feel the need to waste your time staying in medical institutions, especially for mild symptoms.
Specialists are strongly encouraged to consult a dermatologist if a rash in any place and at any time. The treatment usually depends on the cause of the lesions, so the need for timely and accurate diagnosis, even if the symptoms of the pathological process is weak.
In many cases, psoriasis of the scalp is diagnosed by physical examination, study of medical history and the patient's life. Specialist able to diagnose the disease simply by studying the rash. In some situations, it is recommended that a blood test and biopsy for the differential diagnosis with other skin diseases (dermatitis, eczema, etc.).
Although the recurrence of psoriasis can occur regularly, usually pathology is not considered serious — it is important to follow medical advice and time to seek the necessary treatment.
Symptoms and first signs of psoriasis on the head
Hair psoriasis often has a mild course and are practically invisible. Signs of psoriasis of the head is different, and therefore some patients may develop severe disease progression, which involves formation of ulcers and long duration of disease. Intense itching causes sleep disorders, and a rough scratching leads to infection of the skin and hair loss.
How does psoriasis head? A slight degree of the disease is less severe manifestations: there was a subtle point rash, almost do not cause the patient any discomfort.
Moderate and severe degree includes the following symptoms and signs of disease:
- Rocky, uneven spots red-purple hue.
- A dry scalp.
- Appears flaking, resembling dandruff.
- Unbearable itching.
- Burning and pain in the area of the rash.
- The bleeding that occurs from scratching or removing flakes.
- Temporary hair loss.
If the patient has a history of psoriasis on the head and some of the above symptoms, this is the reason for re-treatment to the dermatologist.
Please note! By itself, the psoriasis does not cause hair loss; this leads to intensive scratching along with stress. Hair growth resumes after cleansing.
Stage of hair psoriasis
The pathological process occurs spontaneously and in waves, including the passage of several stages of the disease:
- Phase progression. Observed at the onset of the disease or its recurrence. Occurs in the form of the appearance of new lesions on the skin, which may merge together, forming a greater involvement of the skin in the pathological process. On psoriatic lesions is observed peeling.
- Phase preservation. This stage implies the safety of the process, however, new lesions no longer observed. During this period, "blunted" growth of plaques and is not marked rim around the dermal elements. This phase usually serves as an indicator of successfully matched treatment.
- Phase of regression. Seen a decrease in the volume of precipitation and is determined by the effectiveness of the therapy. This stage is characterized by the appearance of the rim Voronov — folds of skin around the psoriatic plaque. At the same time, peeling gradually disappears, and in place of of plaques can form whitish spots.
Treatments for psoriasis of the scalp
How to treat psoriasis on the head? The first line of defense is a therapy which is applied directly on the skin: medicated shampoos, creams, gels, oils, ointments and Soaps.
Among the OTC drugs, approved by Management on sanitary inspection behind quality of foodstuff and medicines (FDA), the most popular are:
- Funds on the basis of salicylic acid. Salicylic acid has anti-inflammatory action, effectively removing the outer peel off a layer and softening the skin. The downside is the local irritation and weakening the hair which leads to breakage.
- Coal tar. The effect is based on slowing the growth of skin cells to restore a normal appearance. Resin also reduces itching and inflammation.
In some cases psoriasis on the head treatment is getting injections of steroid anti-inflammatory drugs in the pathological areas of the skin. Often such treatment is relevant when mild course of the disease.
In the fight against psoriasis scalp helps phototherapy, which uses laser and other light sources. For example, the excimer laser focuses high-intensity radiation to the affected sites; and should avoid its contact with the healthy skin. Ultraviolet radiation is used to treat only the scalp. In case of a short haircut are recommended to just get out for a short period of time under natural sunlight.
The course of disease and prevention
Unfortunately, causal therapy (i.e., treatment aimed at the cause of the disease) does not exist. However, symptomatic treatment and physiotherapy allow you to eliminate unwanted signs of the disease, to control the repeated episodes and to prevent relapse of psoriasis.
The disease in most cases favorable and leads to serious problems. At the same time, long-standing psoriasis on the head with the advent of "fresh" evidence is the reason for the treatment in medical institution.
Because at this time no scientific studies that could establish the cause of the disease and dysfunction of the immune system in General, to prevent the development of psoriasis in predisposed individuals is difficult. Specialists have no clear answer to the question of how to cure psoriasis on the head. At the same time symptomatic treatment allows you to avoid the spread and progression of the process.
People who suffer psoriasis of the scalp can make use of certain guidelines and tips, which occurs due to the relapse prevention condition:
- Time consult a dermatologist and get the necessary treatment. Ointments or oral drugs allow not only to avoid progress of the disease, but also improve the quality of life, reducing rashes and itching.
- Treat the scalp soft: avoid vigorous washing and combing the hair, as this can cause breakage and loss.
- Avoid scratching. Scratches can provoke the development of bleeding and possibly infection.
- Contact your counselor or join a support group when the constant feeling of psychological discomfort.
- Timely moisture is a kind of popular method. It will not lead to the treatment of psoriasis, but will improve the condition and appearance of the skin.
- Avoid the known triggers. Determine what often provokes relapse and try not to let these factors to your life.