This disease often develops at a young age. Even at the light for it holds to the emergence of serious psychological problems: low self-esteem, permanent feelings of shame and social isolation. Psoriasis is not life-threatening, but has a very big impact on its quality.
What is psoriasis and what are its causes, how it can be treated? This is a fairly common dermatosis: medical statistics show that it affects about 5-7% of the population. In recent years, psoriasis has been regarded as a systemic disease — psoriatic disease because the pathological process, in addition to the skin, and to be involved the joints, liver, kidneys.
Factors of psoriasis and its symptoms
The study of psoriasis, its causes and find a cure continues. Until finally the factors that lead to skin lesions. Experts emphasize the importance of the following points:
- significant enhancement of the rate of cell division, leading to the peeling of the top layer of skin and appearance of convex plaques;
- genetic predisposition;
- the weakening of protective forces of an organism (e.g. after an illness).
The basic distinctive signs of the disease form a triad, which includes:
- education easy radi scaly patches whitish-gray color – the so-called phenomenon stearin spot;
- further scraping reveals a smooth pink surface – the phenomenon of terminal film;
- the appearance of blood droplets on the exposed surface, or the phenomenon of a dot bleeding.
Because the disease is chronic in nature, the question of "How to cure psoriasis?" will automatically change the wording to "How to translate it into a lasting remission?"
Drug treatment of psoriasis
Means of external therapy
Topical preparations reduce the inflammation, scaling, and the degree of infiltration of the skin. Is creams and ointments that contain the following components:
- salicylic acid;
Apply local glucocorticoid means. The use of lotions useful in the treatment of psoriasis localized on the scalp.
- In the stage of progression of the disease is assigned salicylic ointment or hormonal agents with anti-inflammatory action. First apply lighter – prednisolone, hydrocortisone,. In the case of repeated exacerbations, a significant expression of the inflammatory process they are replaced by stronger fluorinated drugs. The use of these drugs quite effectively in 70% of cases result in a 14-day use it is possible to achieve complete regression of the lesions.
- For several years apply negalogenizirovanny glucocorticoids. With the exception of the composition of chlorine and fluoride significantly decreased the likelihood of side reactions, local and systemic. Drugs are the basis of local drug treatment of psoriasis in elderly patients and children.
- A pronounced effect is achieved by the application of ointments and creams with dithranol. They are assigned in ascending doses for short-term or long-term methods and have anti-inflammatory and antiproliferative action. Their downside is the likelihood of adverse reactions in the form of erythema, local swelling or itching.
- Today for the treatment of psoriasis is a new drug — psorcutan that have a direct influence on the pathogenic nature of the factors provoking the development of the disease. Its active ingredient is calcipotriol, which is entering the active reaction with the receptors of keratinocytes and inhibits the process of division, having immunocorrecting and anti-inflammatory action. Studies show that by the end of the second month the condition of the skin improves, the number of lesions is significantly reduced or they disappear completely. An important aspect is the lack of side effects such as skin atrophy, as well as the achieved results. Psorcutan used in the treatment of guttate psoriasis, which is difficult for the therapy. In some cases it is possible to achieve remission with a duration of up to one year. Medium efficiency is significantly increased when combined with the methods of physical therapy – PUVA - or SFT-irradiation.
The means used must be periodically replaced, as the result of adjusting their effectiveness is reduced.
The basis of systemic therapy are aromatic retinoids (synthetic derivatives of vitamin A). 20-year-old practice of their application is proof of the effectiveness of these funds.
Treatment of psoriatic arthritis
Treatment of psoriatic arthritis is a problem of two specialists: a rheumatologist and a dermatologist. The aim is to achieve a state of remission (partial or complete). It should be noted that to stop the progression of the disease and eliminate the symptoms can only through the use of medicines. The attempts of some patients to get rid of the disease non-traditional methods do not lead to positive results and can even cause exacerbation and complications such as serious changes in the tissues of the joints, spinal column, and some internal organs.
How can I treat this form of psoriasis? Medications are divided into two categories:
- symptomatic, which include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and corticosteroids;
- basic drugs with anti-inflammatory action: sulfasalazine, methotrexate, leflunomide.
The use of the first group leads to a rapid appearance of a positive result. Symptoms such as pain and stiffness disappear after a few hours. However, these medications are not able to stop the process of destruction in the joints.
More effective treatment of this type of psoriasis are able to achieve through the application of basic drugs. The result of their action is slow, but the development of psoriatic arthritis this significantly slows down or even stops. The disadvantage of such medicines is that after a certain time the body gets used to them. It is necessary to increase the dose that provokes the development of side effects.
Excellent results can be obtained through the use of anti-cytokine (biological) therapy, thanks to which manages to stop the destruction of joints. Today this method is considered the most effective.
Very important point is the timely initiation of treatment when the joints have not yet undergone deformation, because this process is irreversible.
Treatment of Palmar-plantar psoriasis
What can cure a variety of psoriasis localized to the palms and feet? This question is quite problematic, because traditional therapies are ineffective, because of the significant severity of the pathological processes in the dermis and epidermis, and a factor of constant irritation and traumatization of the skin in these areas as a result of contact with clothing, frequent washing, etc.
- For effective treatment of Palmar-plantar psoriasis need to follow certain rules:
- do not eat fried foods and foods with a spicy taste;
- to stop Smoking;
- eliminate alcoholic beverages;
- do not wash hands and feet with hot water too;
- use the rubber gloves on fabric to prevent contact with corrosive household chemicals;
- if the feet have cracks, we recommend the use of hydrocolloid solution when applied on the affected area it prevents irritation from rubbing, relieves itching, stimulates regeneration of the skin.
- The purpose of pathogenetic therapy is the suppression of propagation of keratinocytes, normalizing their development, the reduction of inflammation.
- External treatment is the use of:
- softening and moisturizing preparations, which contribute to the removal of the stratum corneum of the skin (in most cases their basis is salicylic acid);
- derivatives of vitamin D;
- If you are unable to get a positive result, additionally referred to as PUVA therapy, essentially an exposure of affected areas to ultraviolet rays with the use of psoralen (photoactive material).
- The ineffectiveness of other methods of treatment prescribed systemic therapy.
Treatment of psoriasis on the elbows
This kind of pathology is treated comprehensively. This process is quite long and includes:
- following a special diet;
- vitamin complex;
- topical treatment (ointments, creams, lotions);
Treatment mild forms of psoriasis on the elbows can restrict the use of moisturizers, which help to reduce the peeling, get rid of inflammation and itching.
At the advanced stage, use an integrated treatment:
- corticosteroids local action;
- alternative methods for the treatment of psoriasis (a folk remedy).
Treatment of psoriasis nails
Nail psoriasis was first described in the 19th century. It was already noted that it is isolated, which further got confirmed. Affects the nails in some types of psoriasis (for example, vulgar), however, the disease can develop independently.
How to treat nail psoriasis? The process is complex and duration. The disease is recurrent in nature, may occur in waves. The most important condition for therapy is the correct care of nails and hands daily needed actions and the observance of certain rules:
- nails should be short to cut;
- to avoid microtrauma;
- not to do manicures, pedicures, not to other cosmetic procedures;
- during the execution of work to put on household gloves.
For the treatment of psoriasis nails mild medicines are not applied. Can be limited by applying to the plate a therapeutic varnish. They mask the affected areas, slow down the pathological process and prevent relapses.
In severe require topical treatment with the use of ointments, solutions and creams. As additional measures recommended intake of nutritional Supplements and vitamin formulations that contain calcium, zinc, potassium, silicon. During exacerbation of the process they are best avoided.
Treatment of psoriasis of the scalp
- An important part of treatment of psoriasis on the head is the intake of vitamins A and group b, drugs with calcium and nicotinic acid, using ascorbic and folic acid.
- The most effective is the use of corticosteroids.
- Good effect can be achieved using salicylic ointment.
- In help it is recommended to moisten the scalp with decoction of herbs with strong anti-inflammatory action: celandine, chamomile or sage.
Treatment of psoriasis on the face
Many patients try to hide the traces of destruction with the help of cosmetics, but this is impossible. With constant contact with air and light exposure to sunlight plaque heal much faster.
- Obligatory condition of treatment of psoriasis on the face is skin care, use exclusively funds that are meant for sensitive skin.
- It is forbidden to wipe his face with a towel – this leads to mechanical damage to the platelets and stimulate their growth.
- In the winter you should use moisturizing products.
Complex therapy with the appearance of psoriasis on the face is to the following measures:
- local treatment with ointments, creams, lotions;
- in physiotherapy;
- adherence to therapeutic diets;
- taking vitamins.
The treatment of psoriasis folk remedies
Traditional medicine offers lots of proven ways to get rid of psoriasis.
In the tub of warm water to dissolve a packet of salt, lay the patient on 15 minutes. Also to moisten the scalp. After leaving the bath the person should dry itself without wiping. You need to prepare the onion paste and RUB it into the head and the body of the patient, leave about a quarter of an hour with a rag to remove the remnants of the funds and to put the patient to bed. In the morning I prepare a decoction of celandine, coctum 300 grams of the herb in a bucket of water and wash the entire body. The next morning, lava need a neutral soap and a weak solution of manganese. Repeat the procedure 7 times.
Prepare the infusion using two teaspoons of milled chicory cups of boiling water. After cooling the liquid to moisten her a clean cloth of natural fabric and apply to the lesions.
The original method of treatment of psoriasis pumpkin tails is very effective. Tails should be baked in the oven before turning to ash. Lubricate plaque juice of garlic and a sprinkle of pumpkin ash. The method is pretty unpleasant, but effective.
Two eggs a good whisk with a tablespoon of sunflower oil, add about half spoon of acetic acid, pour the mixture into a jar of dark glass. In the evenings, to be used for lubrication of affected areas. This ointment is particularly effective in the initial stages of the pathology.